The Law Offices of John J. Ghidini

Request a Free Consultation: (203) 439-7773

Relatives Seeking Placement

What can relatives do to help family who are dealing with DCF? Under the current law, DCF has an obligation to engage in due diligence to notify adult grandparents and other adult relatives identified by the parents.

Do relatives seeking placement of a child need an attorney?

It is vitally important for grandparents and other adult relatives to have the assistance of an attorney when dealing with DCF. Seeking placement of a family member can be a lengthy, complicated process, during which the relatives seeking placement must:

  • Meet various administrative requirements to be considered as a placement resource (a home or facility where DCF can place a child).
  • Submit to various examinations, ranging from certified criminal history checks to court-ordered evaluations.
  • Be persistent with DCF. In Connecticut, there is supposed to be a presumption in favor of adult relatives over non-relative placement resources. However, this legal principal often needs to be stressed to the DCF.

At times relatives have the ability to appeal DCF’s placement decisions through the administrative hearings system within DCF. These appeals are hearings conducted in front of hearing officers.

Grandparents in Connecticut also have the ability in certain circumstances to bring an action in the local probate court seeking custody of their grandchildren. The probate courts offer various means to grandparents and relatives to assist families with protecting minor children.

The Bottom Line

If you are a relative seeking placement of a child currently in DCF care or whose parents are currently under DCF investigation, you need competent legal services to address this issue. Don’t wait – contact The Law Offices of John J. Ghidini now »